The Jersey shore is a GREAT place for a romantic escape, whether you’re celebrating your first year together, planning to pop the question, or taking a second honeymoon. What’s more romantic than a walk by the ocean at sunrise or sunset?
You can’t beat a bed and breakfast for a romantic getaway! Just picture it — a restored Victorian mansion, cozy rooms filled with antiques and handmades, and sumptuous breakfasts! You two can spend an afternoon on the porch watching the world go by, or enjoy a stroll through the gardens. Cape May is known for its historic, luxurious bed and breakfasts, but you’ll find them throughout the Jersey shore.
The best thing about bed and breakfasts? Many of them actually have age restrictions on their guests — so you won’t be surrounded by screaming kids and squabbling families.
If you and your love would like something a little less… laid back… consider some of the resorts in Atlantic City. You’ll still get the luxury, but you’ll be in the center of the action.
What can be more romantic than a candlelit dinner for two? How about dinner overlooking the water? The Jersey shore offers fine dining with romantic views and fantastic seafood.
But… you don’t always have to spring for the five star restaurant! The important thing is that you’re together.
- If you’re in a hotel, surprise your mate with breakfast in bed! (If you’re staying at a bed and breakfast, ask the staff if they can help you out. Tell them you’re on your honeymoon and chances are they’ll bend over backwards to make things extra special!)
- Order takeout and have a picnic in the room, or take a blanket out and eat on the beach.
- Can’t decide what you want? You can’t beat a New Jersey diner for variety! Breakfast any time, salads, sandwiches, and full dinners… and many are open twenty-four hours a day!
- It’s cheesy, but you can’t go wrong with a walk on the beach! Try to time it for a less crowded time of day, like before the lifeguards go on duty or after dusk. It’s not very romantic to dodge sun worshippers and volleyball games!
- Get away from the bustle with a nature walk! South Jersey is full of natural areas like the Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary and Cape May County Park and Zoo. Take a self-guided tour and go get a little lost in the wetlands.
- Go shopping together! If you’re really feeling trusting and adventurous, let your loved one pick out an outfit for you. You don’t have to buy it, but it can be fun to model it!
- Don’t underestimate the fun of a boardwalk date. Snuggle up on the Ferris wheel, try to win your sweetie a stuffed animal, share a bucket of fries, or feed each other fudge and salt water taffy. And don’t forget the mini-golf! Let your inner child out for a little fun.
- Take in a show. Lots of Jersey shore towns offer free summer concerts… bring a blanket and cuddle up for some tunes. And Atlantic City is full of big name concerts, hot comedians, and intimate performances.
And… some last thoughts:
- Take your partner’s likes and dislikes into consideration when you’re planning that romantic getaway. Treat your stressed out spouse to an afternoon at a luxurious day spa. Maybe your adventure-loving babe would rather go kayaking than flop out on the beach. You don’t have to spend every second together! If you love to antique but your partner loves cheesy gift shops… a few hours apart will satisfy both your needs. Don’t expect everything to be perfect! You sometimes can’t avoid things like long lines, misplaced reservations, screaming kids, bad weather… but instead of freaking out and letting one little thing ruin your whole day (or your whole trip!), be flexible and have a backup plan.