Labor Day Weekend: Ten Things to do in Wildwood
The centerpiece of the area known collectively as “The Wildwoods”, Wildwood, NJ is a family destination that’s been attracting visitors since before the turn of the century. Many regulars just can’t get enough of this seashore town, so they arrive early in the summer and stay until Labor Day, or visit every weekend possible. When the end of summer arrives, it’s tough to say goodbye, but there are still some last-minute activities you can schedule for your final weekend down the shore.
1. Summer Boardwalk Food – Okay, this is your last chance to eat junk food without feeling guilty. Caramel corn, funnel cake, custard, sausage sandwiches, salt water taffy. Go ahead. Indulge!
2. Play Mini Golf – Wildwood’s boardwalk boasts a number of very creative mini golf courses. Start on Friday of Labor Day weekend and play a few each day until you’ve gotten them all.
3. Play “Real” Golf – For golf aficionados, Labor Day weekend is often one of the last opportunities to play a round before the reality of fall sets in. Wildwood doesn’t have its own course, but there are a number of excellent courses less than 10 miles from this seashore destination.
4. A Splishin’ and a Splashin’ – Labor Day weekends can be just as hot and humid as mid-summer. Beat the heat with a visit to one of Wildwood’s exciting water parks, all of which have attractions appropriate for a variety of ages.
5. Hit the Museum – Don’t leave Wildwood without learning more about the history of this fascinating vacation destination. The volunteer docents are extremely knowledgeable and you’ll find there’s lots to learn about your favorite beach town.
6. Spend your Quarters – Wildwood’s arcades are tons of fun and include all the classic games as well as some high-tech gems that’ll become your new favorites. Save all your Labor Day weekend game tickets for a great prize at the end of the holiday. Often, prizes are discounted on the last day.
7. Walk the Boards – Everyone has a favorite part along Wildwood’s 2-mile-long boardwalk as well as favorite stops along the way. Take your time and browse the shops, play some games, eat some goodies, and maybe even have your picture taken at the old-time photo place. Truly one of Jersey’s best boardwalks!
8. Check out the Convention Center – There’s often a variety of events going on at Wildwood’s Convention Center, including many that are open to the general public. Go online and check their event schedule or stop in the lobby and see what’s happening.
9. Play in the sand – Wildwood has one of the widest beaches in South Jersey. As a matter of fact, you’ll probably need a dip in the ocean just to cool off from the walk. But all this sand also means a wonderful opportunity for sand-based fun with your kids. Bring all your toys for a great day of sand construction!
10.Hit the Clubs – Want to spend your last night of summer having fun with your friends? Then check out a few of Wildwood’s night spots, some of which feature live music and others with stellar DJs. If you’re new to the area, ask the locals about their favorites and have a wonderful time celebrating the end of a great summer season.