Labor Day Weekend: Ten Things to do in Margate City
Close to Atlantic City but definitely its own town, Margate City is convenient to all the action but far enough removed so that visitors can enjoy a peaceful vacation all summer long. But summer must end, so many Margate City fans make the most of the final days by hanging out during Labor Day weekend and enjoying a little extra fun. Check out these end-of-summer activities.
1. Make a Final Visit to Lucy – You can never spend enough time with Margate’s resident elephant! If you haven’t seen her for a while, spend some time at this National Historic Landmark, spend some dollars at the gift shop, and wow your friends with your elephant photos!
2. Barbecue on the Beach – Just a few times each year, Margate City allows visitors to barbecue on the sand. Labor Day is one of those days! So pack up the portable grill and the burgers and dogs and head towards the ocean for a great end-of- summer meal.
3. Catch a Few Fish – Look around Margate City. There’s water everywhere and it’s a grand place for anglers to test their luck. Whether you fish off the bayside docks or head out into the ocean on a charter, you’re sure to bring home the Labor Day dinner!
4. Check Out the Sales – Margate has lots of shops within its borders, ranging from art galleries to apparel stores. Like the stores in all the other shore towns, many of those shops close on Labor Day weekend, so they’ll be offering some of their best sales of the year. And who doesn’t want to save a few bucks!
5. Add to your Tan – Margate’s beaches are clean and spacious and there’s always plenty of room for sunbathers. Grab your chair and towel, some cold drinks, and a good book and put the finishing touches on your summer tan.
6. Splurge on a Top-Notch Dinner – You don’t have to go to neighboring Atlantic City for a fancy dinner. Margate City has its own great restaurants and many of them offer Labor Day weekend specials. Check ‘em out!
7. Play Ball – Gather friends and family members and head to the Jerome Avenue complex for some outdoor fun on the baseball field or basketball courts. There’s a playground for the little ones as well.
8. Squeeze in a Round of Golf – Though Margate doesn’t have its own golf course, there are nearly a dozen located within 10 miles of this vacation resort. There’s sure to be one you haven’t tried yet and it may be your last chance to play until next spring!
9. Go Surfing – Go ahead! You know you want to try it! Surfing is allowed at particular beaches in Margate (check with the beach patrol) and you’ll often find a local outfitter offering lessons. End your summer by hangin’ ten, dude!
10.Take a Kayaking Trip – There’s no better way to explore the waters and coastline of Margate than from a kayak. Explore on your own or look for a guided tour in the area. Bring your camera for some terrific end-of-the-season photos you’ll treasure until it’s time to return!