Labor Day Weekend: Ten Things to do in Avalon
Perched along Seven Mile Island, Avalon is an ideal spot for enjoying the beach without all the trappings of many of the more-crowded Jersey Shore spots. However, it’s close enough to drive to other locations should you want to take advantage of boardwalks and other perks up and down the South Jersey coast.
Indeed, lovely Avalon is a wonderful place to spend your summer, but when the end of August rolls around, it’s especially difficult to leave! So if you’re looking to squeeze a few more days of fun, check out these Labor Day weekend activities.
1. Swim and Sunbathe – Avalon boasts that it’s “Cooler by a Mile”, thanks to its location further out in the Atlantic Ocean. So enjoy your last “cool’ hours on Avalon’s pretty beaches and read those last few pages of your summer novel.
2. Shop ‘til You Drop – End-of-summer sales is what it’s all about on Labor Day weekend in Avalon. The sales often extend to the following weekend as well and are offered in stores throughout Avalon and beyond to neighboring Stone Harbor. Got those credit cards ready!
3. Ride a bike – Avalon is a terrific location for those who enjoy getting around on their two-wheeled vehicle. This Labor Day weekend, take time to explore Seven Mile Island on your bike and take the whole family with you. Rentals are available in several locations in Avalon and Stone Harbor.
4. Go kayaking – Kayaking is a wonderful way to explore the coastline and it’s an activity suitable for a variety of ages. If you’ve got your own kayak, you should know that Avalon offers a free Kayak Park where visitors can store their kayaks when they’re not in use. It’s located at 57th St. and Ocean Dr.
5. Pack a picnic – Enjoy an end-of-summer meal al fresco at one of the many parks in Avalon, including Chelsea Place Park, located between 2nd and 3rd Aves. And 105th and 106th Street. There’s also a playground, a bocce court, and some jogging trails there.
6. Visit the Garden of Remembrance – Labor Day is the right time to honor those who have gone before. Spend some quiet time at Avalon’s Garden of Remembrance. The award-winning park is located at 2nd Ave. and 122nd Street.
7. Catch that Last Fish – If you’ve filled your summers with fishing opportunities, you’ll want to get one more chance to catch the big one before packing up your gear. Go flounder fishing on the bay or head out to the waters of the Atlantic for some wreck fishing. Either way, it’s a great way to spend a day.
8. Play a Little Golf – Squeeze in that last round on the links at nearby Avalon Golf Club, a top-notch public course that’s accessible to players of all skill levels. Then stay and toast the end of the summer with a few drinks at the clubhouse!
9. Schedule a Spa Day – Both Avalon and Stone Harbor boast a handful of day spas where visitors can schedule a long list of pampering treatments. Book a massage or stay for the whole day and come home feeling like a new you!
10.Celebrate History – Make your way to Cape May’s Cold Spring Village, an early American living history museum the whole family can enjoy. Admire restored historic buildings, watch artisans at work, and visit the Country Store to shop for treats, books, toys, and other items. Check out their Labor Day weekend FunFest, too!