Labor Day Weekend: Ten Things to do in Atlantic City
At the Jersey Shore, Labor Day marks the end of the summer even though, especially in Atlantic City, the guests keep coming throughout the year. Nonetheless, it’s the time when the kids are heading back to school and singles or couples are heading back to the grind, ready to get “serious” about work after a summer of fun.
If you’re fortunate enough to be spending Labor Day weekend in Atlantic City, there’s a host of things you can do to mark the end of the summer season. Here’s a list of favorites.
1. Laugh! – Sad about the end of the summer? Take advantage of one of many comedy clubs in Atlantic City and laugh your head off as you enjoy both well- known and up-and-coming comedians. In addition, AC’s annual comedy festival usually takes place on Labor Day weekend. Check it out!
2. Go Clubbing – Many of the nightclubs in Atlantic City’s hotels offer special parties for Labor Day weekend. Check out locales like Club Providence in the Tropicana or the luxurious Mixx in the Borgata.
3. Pool party – Each year, Harrah’s hotel hosts a huge end-of-the-summer pool party at their “Pool after Dark” club, usually on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. It goes on for more than 12 hours, beginning at about 3:30 in the afternoon and continuing until 4 am. DJs spin a variety of tunes throughout the entire event. Make your reservations early!
4. Get Concert Tickets – The live music venues in Atlantic City are spectacular. Many hotels, including the Borgata, Trump Taj Mahal, Tropicana, Resorts, Golden Nugget, and Showboat, all offer well-known names in concert. It’s a wonderful way to celebrate the end of summer!
5. Swimmin’ and Sunnin’ – It’s still plenty warm in A.C. at the beginning on September. Take advantage of your last few hours of vacation time by lounging on the golden sands or swimming in the Atlantic. Or just bring a book and some cold drinks and chill out!
6. Take a Cruise – Enjoy the lovely waters that surround Atlantic City! Make reservations for a boat cruise. There are many available and they sail all times of the day. Check out the Happy Hour cruises or those that include dinner and dancing.
7. Splurge on a Great Meal – Just because the atmosphere in Atlantic City is laid back, it doesn’t mean you won’t find any fancy restaurants. Perennial favorites like The Palm, Buddakan, Morton’s, Ruth’s Chris, and others offer an opportunity to savor an elegant meal that’ll knock your socks off.
8. Shop for End-of-Summer Bargains – Many of the stores in A.C. will be closing for the season and will be offering wonderful sales. You can pick up everything from kitschy souvenirs and t-shirts to boutique clothing and upscale housewares at A.C.’s many retail stores and outlets.
9. Play a Round of Golf – Not far from Atlantic City are a number of excellent golf courses catering to a variety of levels. It might be your last round of the summer so be sure to schedule a tee time in advance!
10.Have a Picnic – Pack your lunch (and all your friends and family members) and head to Oscar McClinton Waterfront Park on New Hampshire Ave. The park features a large green area, paved walkways, and a central pavilion with views of the Absecon Inlet, all ideal for a picnic meal and fun in the sun.