Labor Day Weekend: Ten Things to do in Sea Isle City
Sea Isle City, located in Cape May County and easy to reach from the Garden State Parkway and other major roads, is a summer paradise for beach lovers. Whether you come for the sand and surf or just to get away from the everyday grind, it’s tough to leave when summer is over and Labor Day arrives. But, alas, there’s plenty to do on that last summer weekend, so take advantage of these great Sea Isle City activities.
1. Enjoy the Peace and Quiet – Sea Isle City is definitely one of the quieter beaches in South Jersey, and many regulars are thankful for that. You can sit on Sea Isle’s spacious beaches and enjoy your book or listen to music without much interruption. What a treat!
2. Go Shopping – Pick up some great Labor Day sales! The last weekend of the summer is the perfect day for shopping as many stores are getting ready to lock their doors for the season and want to reduce their inventory. You’ll find a number of irresistible bargains!
3. Ride your Bike – Start the holiday weekend with a group ride through Sea Isle City. It’s a wonderful place for cycling, with few inclines and moderate traffic, especially early in the morning. Don’t have your own with you? There are a few local bike shops that offer everything you’ll need.
4. Have a Picnic Lunch – There are a number of parks, playgrounds, and other green areas in Sea Isle City, just right for an end-of-summer picnic. Plan games for the kids and be sure to bring plenty to drink!
5. Visit the Historical Museum – If you haven’t taken time to visit Sea Isle’s tiny historical museum, you’re missing a treasure. Before you head home, check out the museum and learn more about this lovely beach town through displays that include artifacts, photos, and more. Open every day but Sunday.
6. See the Animals – The nearby Cape May County Park and Zoo is just wonderful and is popular with kids and adults alike! For a small zoo, the variety of animals is terrific. Be sure to ride the Hummingbird Express Train and the Wildlife Carousel!
7. Play a Round of Golf – Though there’s no golf course in Sea Isle City, there are a half-dozen within just a short drive of this seashore resort. They cater to a variety of skill levels. Get out early on Labor Day weekend and beat the New Jersey heat!
8. Organize a Volleyball Game – Grab your friends and family and head to the beaches at 25th, 30th, 35th, 53rd, 57th, 67th, 72nd, or 88th Street, where volleyball is permitted. Many of the beaches provide poles or you can bring your own complete set. Nothing like a little friendly competition!
9. Pamper Yourself – Cape May County is full of day spas and one of them is calling your name! Want to feel refreshed before heading back to the daily grind? Schedule a facial, massage, mani/pedi, or another treatment before you leave. Great girlfriend activity!
10.Amuse them – Even though Sea Isle City doesn’t have a boardwalk, it does have an amusement area filled with wet and dry rides suitable for a variety of ages, but especially children. So when you’ve had enough of the surf and sand and want to give the kids a special end-of-summer treat, let ‘em ride the rides!