Labor Day Weekend: Ten Things to do in Ocean City
Beautiful Ocean City, New Jersey is a summer vacation paradise, so no one’s too anxious to leave when Labor Day rolls around, rearing its ugly head and marking the end of a relaxing season of days on the sand and nights on the boardwalk. But there’s still a chance to enjoy a few more days of fun with a host of Labor Day weekend activities for all ages, including some of those listed below.
1. Pack a Picnic Lunch – Ocean City is blessed with a number of excellent green spaces where visitors can enjoy a meal al fresco. So pack your basket and head to one of the many parks and playgrounds that dot the town.
2. Play Ball – Time for one last pick-up game! Gather your friends and family and make your way to the Vanderslice Baseball Complex or Richards Grimes Field and participate in some friendly competition. Afterwards, head to the boardwalk for some soft-serve or a giant fresh lemonade!
3. Head to the Bayside Center – If you’ve never visited the interesting and informative Bayside Center, now’s the time to do it. This museum-of-sorts teaches guests about the seashore via exhibits, displays, and photos about the bay and its environment. Located in a beautiful 1916-built house.
4. Play Golf – The Ocean City Municipal Golf Course is a 12-hole, par 3 facility that’s fun to play and accessible even to beginners. There are also a number of other courses within a 10-mile radius of Ocean City, so take advantage of the opportunity and enjoy your last game of the season.
5. Run! – Each Labor Day, Ocean City sponsors the Mayor’s Labor Day Race, which includes a 5-mile run or 1-mile run/walk, both starting at the 23rd Street Beach. There are categories for all ages, and once you’ve finished, you won’t feel so guilty about eating that huge barbecue lunch!
6. Head to the Music Pier – There’s always something happening at Ocean City, NJ’s famed Music Pier. This concert hall/event center hosts a huge variety of shows, including on Labor Day weekend. Check with the box office to see what’s scheduled for the holiday.
7. Shop, Shop, Shop! – It’s Labor Day weekend and that means many of O.C.’s stores will be closing or will be eager to rid themselves of their summer inventory. So put your walking shoes on and check out the sales.
8. Dine in Style – Cap off the summer with an elegant meal at one of Ocean City’s lovely restaurants. Even though you’re at the beach, you can don your fancy clothes and head to one of several top-notch restaurants in this seashore town. Try the fresh-caught seafood. It’s divine!
9. Be an Eco-Tourist – Do something “green”! Hike the Crook Horn Creek Nature Trail (51st and Bay Ave.), watch the migratory birds at Corson’s Inlet State Park (59th and Central), or grab your bike and go geocaching.
10.Go Surfing – Have you been waiting all summer to get up the nerve to try your hand at surfing? There’s no time to waste. Complete your vacation with a Labor Day weekend lesson or try it on your own at one of Ocean City’s surf beaches, which include Waverly Rd., 7th & Boardwalk, 16th & Boardwalk, and a few others.