Fourth of July Weekend: Ten Things to do in Seaside Heights
Seaside Heights, with its long, wide boardwalk and ample beaches, is a seashore lover’s paradise. Easy to reach from the surrounding areas, it offers singles, couples, and families a lot of possibilities for activities and entertainment, especially on holidays such as the Fourth of July weekend, when the New Jersey shore is at its best and eager to please visitors. Here’s a list of 10 great things to keep you busy while visiting Seaside Heights over the Independence Day holiday.
1. Hang Out at the Beach – The water is fine at Seaside Heights! This town’s family-friendly beach includes a wide sandy area and calm waters that are suitable to all swimming levels. There’s a modest fee for a daily beach badge but the season pass is your best bet if you’ll be back again several times.
2. Spend your Quarters – The Seaside Heights boardwalk is teeming with fun arcades featuring games the whole family will enjoy, from traditional ski ball and classic video games to some real high-tech new offerings. The arcades are great entertainment rain or shine and a good way to get out of the sun on a particularly hot Fourth of July weekend.
3. Go Fish! – At Casino Fishing Pier, you can grab your rod and reel and try your luck at nabbing a variety of species (depending on the time of year), including striped or black sea bass, flounder, blue fish, skate, and more. Local bait shops will help you make the right choices for the most success.
4. Cruise the Boards – The Seaside Heights boardwalk is always busy, but it’s still a fun place to do a little 4th of July shopping. Aside from the arcades, you’ll find souvenir-type shops, small apparel and jewelry stores, and a variety of specialty shops that appeal to diverse shopaholics. Enjoy!
5. I Love the Nightlife – If you want to boogie ‘til all hours, Seaside Heights might just be the place for you. Clubs can be found on the boardwalk as well as on the Boulevard and you’ll have several from which to choose. Most attract a younger crowd intent on partying together.
6. Check out the Restaurants – Head to the Boulevard, the town’s dining and entertainment district – for a huge selection of restaurants, including everything from quick bites to eat to fine meals with a view of the water. Ask the locals about their favorites!
7. Sun at the State Park – Drive about 15 minutes to lovely Island Beach State Park, where you can peruse nearly 2,000 acres of diverse eco-systems including freshwater bogs, marshes, and sand dunes. Hike the nature trails, go kayaking, or bring your bike or fishing rod. Opportunities abound for a great day during the Fourth of July holiday.
8. Rockin’ and Rollin’ – Throughout the summer, Seaside Heights offers free concerts every Monday. So if your Fourth of July holiday happens to extend to a Monday, check out the schedule at the Hiering Ave. Ocean Front Stage to find out who’s appearing.
9. Watch a Movie – Also throughout the summer, the city offers kid-friendly movies on the beach every Thursday evening after dusk. It’s fun to watch from your sand chair under the stars! Bring the whole clan!
10.Booms and bangs – Each year, Seaside Heights sponsors a fireworks extravaganza on the evening of July 4th, usually around 9:30 pm. It’s a fantastic display! Spectators can get a good view from just about anywhere on the beach or boardwalk.