Fourth of July Weekend: Ten Things to do in Ocean City
Lovely Ocean City is a true playground at the seashore. Its family friendliness –it’s a “dry” town – makes it a wonderful summer destination for tens of thousands of visitors each year. From its wide boardwalk and piers to its excellent restaurants and fun shopping opportunities, it has just about everything you’ll want for a great vacation. By the Fourth of July, everything is in full swing and you’ll find that there’s much to do on the holiday weekend. Here’s a list of 10 favorites activities for your Independence Day trip to the O.C.
1. Listen to the Music – Check out the Ocean City Music Pier at 9th Avenue and the Boardwalk. Throughout the 4th of July holiday weekend, you’ll find multiple concerts presented here, both inside and outside, including the Ocean City Pops annual patriotic concert. Many events are free; most others are quite reasonably priced. Head to the onsite box office and check the schedule.
2. Ride the Rides – The amusements in Ocean City are excellent and they cater to kids of all ages, from those who are riding their first carousel to teens (and older) who love something with a bit of a thrill, like a good coaster that stretches over the water. Consider a “bracelet” that lets you ride all day (or night).
3. Eat Boardwalk Food – It’s Fourth of July! Dispense with the diet for a day or two and be sure to sample the great boardwalk-style food you’ll find at Ocean City, NJ. This includes soft serve ice cream, salt water taffy, fudge, fries, funnel cake, caramel corn, and amazing chocolate-covered bananas!
4. Go Fly a Kite – Ocean City holds an annual kite flying competition on the evening of the 4th around 5 pm. Sign up for your chance to be the kite king…or queen. Watching is fun, too! A great pre-fireworks activity!
5. Be Part of the Parade – The annual July 4th Bike Parade generally kicks off at about 10 am with registration an hour or so before. Deck your two- or three- wheeled vehicle with red-white-and-blue and parade down Asbury Avenue with your friends and family. Don’t want to ride? Join the others lining the streets and cheer on the participants!
6. Head to the Theater – The Moorlyn Family Theater at Moorlyn Terrace and the Boardwalk hosts gala musical theater/variety show-type presentations all summer long, including during Fourth of July week. Prices are reasonable and the foot- tappin’ shows are appropriate for all ages. Children’s productions are offered as well.
7. Sandmasters – Each year, the first sand sculpting contest of the season is scheduled for sometime during Fourth of July week. It’s tons of fun to watch the sculptors make their amazing creations, and if you’re particularly good at sand art, you might consider entering the competition. (Usually around 6th Street)
8. Go Geocaching – If you haven’t discovered geocaching yet, it’s time to get started! Hop aboard your bike – a great way to travel throughout Ocean City – and see how many geocaches you can find. You can download a map that will help you. It’s a terrific way to get to know the town and see things you might want to return to later.
9. Catch Dinner – Fishing in Ocean City is spectacular! Whether you try your hand in the waters of the Atlantic Ocean or in the bays and creeks, you’re likely to come up with a great catch. Look for species that include flounder, sea bass, shark, tuna, marlin, and many others. Fish right from the beach or piers or rent a boat. Then throw your catch on the BBQ for a scrumptious Fourth of July dinner.
10.Spectacular Fireworks – Ocean City’s super-duper fireworks usually begin at dusk at the 9th Street beach, following the kite flying and some family entertainment. Gather anywhere along the beach to see the rockets fly and hear the rousing music!