Fourth of July Weekend: Ten Things to do in Avalon
Ten Things to Do over Fourth of July Weekend in Avalon
Blessed with a small town feel but close enough to other shore destinations to provide everything you might want for your New Jersey shore vacation, Avalon is located on Seven Mile Island, a stretch of land that includes both Avalon and pretty neighbor, Stone Harbor. Measuring just 3 or 4 blocks wide in most spots, it’s the ideal spot for individuals who prefer a more laid back vacation sans the busy boardwalks and noisy crowds. That’s what makes it the perfect place for a fun but peaceful Fourth of July holiday.
With that in mind, here’s a list of 10 fantastic Avalon experiences to enjoy on your 4th of July trip to this attractive shore town.
1. Get to Know Avalon – If it’s your first time in Avalon (or even if you’re a regular visitor), learn more about the history of the town by making a stop at the Avalon History Center, located inside the local free library. Visitors are treated to a wealth of objects, photos, and more that profile the beach town’s history. Sometimes the Avalon Historical Society hosts special programs as well, so check their calendar for more info.
2. Organize a Fourth of July pick-up game – Wanna play baseball with your friends and family? Put together a few teams and head over to the baseball fields at the 8th-12th Street recreation fields.
3. Enjoy Free Musical Entertainment – Head to Veteran’s Plaza where – all summer long – you can enjoy different musical artists each Friday evening. Best of all, it’s FREE! It’s also a lovely place to spend an evening!
4. Squeeze in a Round of Golf – The Avalon Golf Club, located in nearby Cape May Court House, is a lovely public course suitable for most skill levels. This 18-hole course is reasonably priced, especially after 3 pm, and features a great pro shop and a restaurant that serves lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch.
5. Spend the Fourth on the Water – If you’d like to take to the high seas on your Fourth of July holiday, consider chartering a boat. You can do something as simple as take a boat ride with the whole family, or you might consider a little sportfishing. If you’re good with the reel, you could catch some flounder, blue fish, or striped bass. (Be sure to make a reservation with a local outfitter ahead of time so you’re not disappointed.)
6. Hang Out on Seven Mile Beach – If you’re the kind of vacationer that just wants to sit on a sand chair and read, you won’t be disappointed in Avalon. The beach is clean and expansive and the town tends to attract a law-abiding clientele. There’s usually plenty of free parking as well. You can even reserve surf chairs for no charge (though reservations are suggested). Beach tags are reasonably priced, too.
7. Go Shopping – Spend one day during your 4th of July vacation checking out the shops along Dune Drive and other local thoroughfares. You’ll find everything from pretty home interior items and antiques to boutique-type apparel and kitschy souvenirs during your shopping experience.
8. Check out the Family Fun Fest – Avalon’s Family Fun Fest is all about providing plenty of entertainment for all ages. This annual event includes such activities as a boat parade, various musical acts, field races for the kids, and more. Generally, the event lasts for 3 or 4 days with Fourth of July as the pinnacle of the festivities.
9. Slip Over to Stone Harbor – Avalon’s neighbor is just as lovely as Avalon itself. So head over to Stone Harbor on your 4th of July vacation and check out what that town has to offer, including Independence Day activities at the 80th Street Recreation Field.
10.Watch the Fireworks – No Fourth of July vacation is complete without the opportunity to view a great fireworks display. In Avalon, the sky rockets are set to music for a multi-sensory experience that’ll cap off your holiday with a bang. Don’t miss ‘em!